Owl Feed

Student News Site of Odyssey Charter Middle School

Owl Feed

Owl Feed

Social studies teacher Greg Altmeier was named the 2023-24 teacher of the year for Odyssey Middle School.
One for the Books
July 8, 2024
Odyssey Middle Schools boys volleyball team finished its first season with a 3-3 record this spring.
A Solid Start
June 6, 2024
Odysseys Londyn Harris (left) glances at the referee as teammates Dominique Frederique (middle) and Lena Garland (back right) battle for the ball in a game against Henry B. du Pont Middle School.
Setting the Tone
May 20, 2024
Damian Lillard, Brook Lopez, and Giannis Antetokounmpo are top players for the Milwaukee Bucks.
Team to Beat
April 25, 2024

A Solid Start

Coach, players pleased after Owls first season in boys volleyball
Odyssey Middle School’s boys volleyball team finished its first season with a 3-3 record this spring.

Odyssey Middle School’s first boys volleyball team competed this spring and completed the season with a 3-3 record.

Not bad for a new team, especially considering some of the Owls were playing the sport for the first time.

Odyssey defeated ASPIRA Academy 2-0, Kennett 2-0, and Academia Antonia Alonso 2-0. The losses came against Brandywine Springs, Conrad Schools of Science, and Henry B. du Pont.

Considering this was Odyssey’s first season, coach Karen Patterson was happy with the overall results.

“It was like winning a championship,” Patterson said. “The boys never gave up and played their hearts out all season.”

Patterson said that all her players were “exceptional,” but she mentioned three that stood out.

Luke Henninger, a sixth grader, led the Owls in scoring.

“Luke was the heart behind the team,” said Patterson. “He is an exceptional athlete and an amazing person.”

Demetri Thomas, a seventh grader, was a team leader from day one.

“Demetri was the team captain from the first practice and showed his leadership on and off the court,” said Patterson.

Nolan Breeding, a seventh grader, had never played volleyball before joining the team this spring.

“Nolan came out of nowhere and played some of the best volleyball I have seen,” said Patterson.

Breeding was also satisfied with the team’s season and saw the growth that occurred.

“I think we did really well, for a lot of us not ever playing before,” said Breeding. “We definitely got better over time. We had a few really good players in the beginning, and then by the end everybody was quite good.”