Owl Feed

Student News Site of Odyssey Charter Middle School

Owl Feed

Owl Feed

Social studies teacher Greg Altmeier was named the 2023-24 teacher of the year for Odyssey Middle School.
One for the Books
July 8, 2024
Odyssey Middle Schools boys volleyball team finished its first season with a 3-3 record this spring.
A Solid Start
June 6, 2024
Odysseys Londyn Harris (left) glances at the referee as teammates Dominique Frederique (middle) and Lena Garland (back right) battle for the ball in a game against Henry B. du Pont Middle School.
Setting the Tone
May 20, 2024
Damian Lillard, Brook Lopez, and Giannis Antetokounmpo are top players for the Milwaukee Bucks.
Team to Beat
April 25, 2024

Setting the Tone

Harris, Frederique play lead roles in Owls winning season
Tucker Smith
Odyssey’s Londyn Harris (left) glances at the referee as teammates Dominique Frederique (middle) and Lena Garland (back right) battle for the ball in a game against Henry B. du Pont Middle School.

It was a winning basketball season for 12 middle school girls at Odyssey Charter. They had big wins and tough losses, ending their season with a 6-4 record.

Odyssey’s last win was against Thomas Edison. The owls led 17-16 at halftime and they came out on top and won with a score of 33-26.

One of the tough losses came against Springer. The Owls led at halftime 13-11 but the game went into overtime and Odyssey came up short, losing 42-38.

In that loss, 8th-grader Londyn Harris led the Owls with 13 points. Also scoring were 7th-grader Sophia Cooley (9 points), 8th-grader Dominique Frederique (5 points), 7th-grader Eva Baxter (5 points), 7th-grader Lena Garland (4 points), and 7th-grader Gabriella White (2 points).

Another of the Owls’ wins came in the beginning of the season against Conrad. Frederique and Harris led the team offensively, as each scored 16 points. Also scoring against Conrad were White (5 points), Garland (2 points) and 6th-grader Alexis Joannides (2 points). Everybody’s hustle and contribution helped the Owls come out on top, 41-13.

Odyssey opened the season with a 28-19 win over Brandywine Springs. Harris led the team with 15 points, White added 6 points, and Cooley, Garland, and 7th-grader Zeah Bhavsar chipped in with 2 points each.

Other wins this season came against Caravel Academy, Red Lion Christian Academy, and First State Montessori Academy.

Even though last season was just her first playing organized basketball, Harris led Odyssey offensively throughout this season.

One challenge Harris faced this year was playing the point-guard position and being captain of a team with some players who had little to no experience playing on a school team. Of the Owls’ 12 players, nine were in 6th or 7th grade.

Odyssey coach Stacy Leccia praised Harris for leading the young team from the point-guard position.

“Londyn was a leader on the court and supportive of her teammates,” said Leccia. “She has a calm demeanor, a sense of humor, and puts in the work. Without hesitation, Londyn stepped into the [point-guard] role and did a great job. She remained positive throughout the season.”

Harris said that as she started to play more basketball, she realized how it could possibly help her attend college. She hopes to one day receive a scholarship with a Division I college basketball program.

One of the things that helps her in games is confidence.

“If you don’t have confidence in a game,” said Harris, “that’s when you start to make mistakes and you let your team down.”

Last year was also Frederique’s first year playing organized basketball. Growing up, Frederique would watch her brothers play basketball and also watched women’s college basketball, which inspired her to start playing.

“When I am at school I give it my all and that transitions to on the court, because I work hard on and off the court,” Frederique stated.

A challenge Frederique faced this year was playing all four quarters, and more total minutes. Because she has sports-induced asthma, her body had to adjust to the additional playing time.

“Dom was a key member of the team,” said Leccia. “Dom has grit and hustle, is a quick learner and a great athlete. She’s fast, can dribble, shoot, and rebound. I’ve really enjoyed watching her grow and develop her game.”

With Harris and Frederique moving on to high school next year, the Owls are hoping this year’s younger players will grow and develop in a similar way next season.

View Comments (2)
Donate to Owl Feed

Your donation will support the student journalists of Odyssey Charter School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.