Glow with the Flow

Students set for night of fun at “Glow in the Dark” dance

A middle school dance with a theme of Glow in the Dark will take place on Friday, Feb. 17, from 7-9 p.m. in the OCS middle school gym.

Artwork created by Allison Ganc.

A middle school dance with a theme of “Glow in the Dark” will take place on Friday, Feb. 17, from 7-9 p.m. in the OCS middle school gym.

Allison Ganc, Staff Writer

As the Super Bowl and Valentine’s Day come and go, there’s another fun event awaiting OCS middle school students.

The seventh grade teachers have planned out a Valentine’s Dance that will take place on Friday, Feb. 17, from 7 to 9 p.m. It will be held in Odyssey’s gym in the middle school.

The theme for the dance will be “Glow in the Dark.” Everything will be decorated in bright, neon colors. Students are encouraged to wear something bright and colorful.

As of Feb. 12, 136 students had signed up and paid for the Valentine’s Dance. Tickets must be purchased by midnight on Thursday, Feb. 16, on Velocity. Parents can also find the sign-up sheet on one of the announcements posted on Schoology. Tickets are $5 and only OCS students can attend.

At the dance, students will be able to hang out with friends, enjoy a snack or drink, participate in a raffle, and dance to the music being played by DJ Efficial, who also deejayed at Odyssey’s Black History Month Talent Show on Feb. 8.

Raffle tickets will be sold at the dance and students can win fun raffle baskets. According to science teacher Kaitlin O’Connor, there will be four baskets.

The Movie Basket includes a blanket, a stuffed animal, popcorn, and snacks. The Game Basket includes a mini football, basketball, and soccer ball; various board games; silly putty; and candy. The Candy Basket includes lots of yummy treats. The Spa Basket includes a blanket, a stuffed animal, a spa headband, an eye mask, a nail file, bath bombs, lip gloss, a makeup storage box, and more. Raffle tickets will cost $1 each and students can also buy eight tickets for $5.

There will also be many snacks and drinks available at the dance. There will be chips, soda, full-sized candy bars, and even more for people to buy. Most items will cost around $1 or $2.

According to social studies teacher Greg Altmeier, the money collected from the dance will benefit seventh grade activities and field trips.

“Come to have a good time,” said Altmeier. “Whether or not you dance or just hang out, it’s no pressure. We really want people to come and enjoy themselves and see people outside the school environment.”