Owl Feed

Student News Site of Odyssey Charter Middle School

Owl Feed

Owl Feed

Damian Lillard, Brook Lopez, and Giannis Antetokounmpo are top players for the Milwaukee Bucks.
Team to Beat
April 25, 2024
Never Too Soon
April 7, 2024
Members of Odyssey Charter Middle Schools 2023-2024 student council: (back row, left to right) Lucas Pietlock, Liana Kuria, Aariya Ghosh, (front row, left to right) Aaron Luu, Abbie Walden, Sahasra Vennamaneni. Not pictured: Josie Baird, Pranettha Boopathi.
Leading the Way Again
January 8, 2024
Whiz Kids
Whiz Kids
November 16, 2023
Members of Odyssey Charter Schools first field hockey team (back row, left to right): Agana Davis, Payton McLaughlin, Kaylee Lagarelli, Dominique Frederique, Jocelyn Yost, Ella Smith, Chloe Barone; (front row, left to right): Marianna Gatta, Sofia Cano.
First in Their Field
October 30, 2023

Never Too Soon

Gaining work experience while still in school has many benefits

Looking for a job at a young age is super important because it teaches you responsibility and helps you gain valuable skills for the future. When you start working early, you learn how to manage your time and money better, which are skills that will help you in your adult life. According to a study by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, teens who work part-time during high school are more likely to succeed in the workforce later on.

Having a job also gives you a sense of independence and helps you become more confident in yourself. It can be scary at first to take on new responsibilities, but once you start working and see that you can handle it, you’ll feel proud of yourself. A report by the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that 85% of employers look for job candidates who have had part-time work experience during high school.

Not only does having a job at a young age help you develop important skills, but it also looks great on college and job applications. When you can show that you have experience working and have proven yourself to be responsible and hardworking, it sets you apart from other candidates. According to a survey by the Chronicle of Higher Education, students who work part-time during high school are more likely to be accepted into top colleges and universities.

In addition to the practical benefits of having a job, it can also be a great way to explore your interests and figure out what you want to do in the future. By trying out different jobs, you can see what you enjoy and what you’re good at. This can help you make more informed decisions about your career path later on.

Overall, looking for a job at a young age is important because it helps you develop important skills, gain independence, stand out on college and job applications, and explore your interests. So don’t be afraid to start looking for opportunities to work, whether it’s babysitting, dog walking, or a part-time job at a local store. You’ll be surprised at how much you can learn and grow from the experience.